Monday, February 27, 2012

Words, What are they good for?

Words are very useful. This is, of course, very true for a student who is learning to read. Without learning his/her words, a student might simply try to get by with memorizing symbols in frequently viewed books. Of course, many might do this anyways, but this week's readings provided ample opportunities through recommended activities to motivate our students to truly learn their words.


I found several activities that I believe would be both challenging and fun for my elementary students. One activity, called odd-one-out, was one of my favorite word games from my earlier school years. So the concept is pretty simple. A list of words is provided to the student(s), sometimes with pictures, sometimes without, and the student must determine which word is the odd-one-out.



What was a fun activity that you can remember for using and learning words growing up that you might share in your future classroom?

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember a ton of really fun and interesting methods of learning words growing up. I think I learned new words through heavy readings, which weren't always fun. I remember doing vocab sheets a lot in elementary school, middle, and highschool. The one activity that I did enjoy and taught me words were cross word problems. I loved doing crossword puzzles. It involved critical thinking, introduced me to new words, and spelling techniques. I wish I had these fun activities!

    ReplyDelete