Monday, February 20, 2012

Phonemic Awareness

Phonemic Awareness
What is it? This term is very important. It is the ability for a student to hear, identify, and be able to manipulate small units of sounds in/from the spoken word. This is sooo important for our early learners. This now explains to me why children with hearing disabilities or delays have a harder time speaking. I have kids in my family who this applies to.
I found it interesting when I did some extra research on the topic of just how much information is out there for parents and teachers to apply this type of teaching in the classroom or at home. I found several activities that I would love to access in my classroom. I believe that the Rhyming word games/activities are my favorite because they appear a little more interactive.
How will you apply this strategy within your classroom to make it fun and interactive?

1 comment:

  1. I love all the activities the articles presented! Getting kids involved and enjoying learning is crucial for them to actually retain what they learn. I also looked up some additional activities and was shocked to see so many for teacher and parents to have access to.

    ReplyDelete